Saturday, 8 March 2014

Lets go fly a kite

Green Monday in Cyprus is traditionally a day for family get togethers, bbq's picnics and I'm not sure why but kite flying seems to be a compulsory activity on the day too!

Although I don't think I've ever seen a kite in the sky here on any other day of the year, without fail the skies are full of them every year on this day!

Leo has never had a kite before and for some reason thought it would be quite difficult to fly one.   I did have a kite as a child but I don't remember flying it myself, in fact I don't think we had it very long as I seem to remember my Dad got it stuck in a tree!

He redeemed himself though by buying Leo his first kite and joining us in flying it. 

Despite a few failed attempts and several crashes to the ground I think we did very well, even handing over the line to Leo was very successful.




'Καθαρά Δευτέρα'  (Kathara Deftera)  Clean Monday, or  Green Monday as it's more commonly known is a feast day which is always 7 weeks before the Orthodox Easter Sunday and marks the start of Lent.   The 'Clean' comes from the idea of leaving behind 'sinful attitudes and non fasting foods..


Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

4 comments:

  1. A fun activity for the whole family to enjoy and it sounds like Leo did very well with his flying! Thanks for linking up and sharing your family fun with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love kite flying, so much fun! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because you have Clean Monday does that mean you don't have Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay to the successful kite flying Leo! whenever we try to fly a kite the wind always seems to well go away!! x

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails